What applications is DNN good for?
DNN has a great many features and is ideal if you want to extend it and integrate with other systems. So where is it typically used?
1. As a big, fully featured, grown up CMS to let you build robust websites it is excellent. If you are looking for something light weight though, it is probably not for you.
2. If you want complete control over functionality, or have unusual functional requirements, then there is no better CMS in the Microsoft world. The ability to extend and integrate with other systems is first class.
3. For community sites it is particularly useful, thanks to the user access permission based controls that are at the centre of the system.
4. For Business to Business sites exchanging information in a secure and robust manner DNN fits the bill. Admittedly B2B sites like that will require some DNN develeopment experts but the DNN Framework is a solid foundation to build on.
5. If, however, you are looking for a Shopping Cart CMS then DNN is probably not for you. It can be done, but it's worth weighing up the options first.