What is AWS good for?
Amazon have made setting up and monitoring AWS as simple as possible. It's impressive. That means AWS is ideal for anything, but here are a few suggestions.
1. Use AWS Lambda Functions on sites where sudden spikes in traffic can occur. Examples could include a Ticketing Site handling a popular, limited availability event.
2. Use AWS Cloud Watch to detect when your servers are under pressure, allowing you to look at more powerful options.
3. Take advantage of RDS to ensure your Database is looked after and managed like no other.
4. AWS is good for managing costs. The range of management tools ensures you can see you are making best use of the technology for the costs involved.
5. Consider using the Free Tiers to try out new services; email and Lambda have generous Free Tiers for example.